The Plaza de toros Real de San Carlos is located in the department of Colonia, Uruguay a few miles from the historic area of the city, also known as Colonia del Sacramento. It is the only place that stays in Uruguay and was erected with Mudéjar style, very similar to the bullrings of Spain, consevando arches and some details in circumference. It is a work by Argentine architect José Marcovich and Ingeniro Dupuy. The bullring was opened on January 9, 1910 having run eight officers, although there were over eighty, as it continued to use the space for shows still runs under the ban by President Batlle y Ordóñez in 1912.
The square was built in eight months with the approval of the Uruguayan parliament, who granted permission to start work on the complex. The material used for construction was provided by the brick factory and Sandstone tiles. The diameter of the place amounts to 100 meters, with a circle of 50 meters in diameter.
The iron structure of the work, was brought from Britain and fully armed in Cologne. This rusty iron construction can be seen in what forms part of the ruins of the square, considered a National Historic Landmark.
Exterior view of the bullring
Manuel Caballero, was the son of the Spanish Consul, handles the municipal permit to build a resort in Real de San Carlos. The site is called complex Mihanovich and had dock, hotel and Plaza de Toros.
The place worked two consecutive years, until in 1912 they were banned bullfights inexorably under President Batlle y Ordóñez. Today, the square is ruined and can not enter the same risk of collapse.
Beginning and first runs
In the beginning, the shows that were provided were instrumented with bullfighters and brought bulls in Spain, while bulls some South American countries as was the case in Peru, and sometimes runs were performed with bulls Cologne were used. The bullfighters who officially opened the square were the brothers Rafael and Ricardo Torres, both natives of Spain, who came especially for the show. There were vapors that were enabled on that day and in subsequent runs from Cologne to the Royal Dock for people who wanted to reach and leave the area, becoming a tourist attraction visited by hundreds of spectators.
Official activities of the Real de San Carlos
The project took two years of boom and prosperity where viewers from other departments of Uruguay approached attend bullfights. Argentina fans also came in the vapors that were formalized to transport visitors. The place had a restaurant, bars, a theater stage and ensuring the extension of other attractions such as boxing matches, bands and singers. The program runs one could read the following:
“The public is reminded that there will be no right to protest, for what that gift horse never look hair. Do not look for hair on a Sunday the party. Please do not throw the arena objects or people; no whistle or bring the family story the fighters, who have nothing to do in the matter. ”
While no sympathizer Uruguayan public bullfighting was shown, the audience was important in each event-eight thousand people attended the opening of the plaza-arriving on steamers Mihanovich Company (“Triton”, “Rivadavia” and “Cologne”), which covered the Buenos Aires-Real de San Carlos stretch in an average of six hours. With the ban on bullfighting, Plaza Real and Complex San Carlos were used for art shows, and continued to operate the hotel as well as the casino.
In the magazine Punto y Coma of Buenos Aires, journalist Raúl Fandino said in an article to the Humane Society who used to say in disfavor of these activities:
“… Bullfighting, seen from the point of view sportivo constitute a pretty sight and worship, it suffices to note the fact that the Buenos Aires public attending those made in the Real de San Carlos, has not led so far no incidents have to intervene to the Uruguayan police. This item is only the most tangible proof of culture. ” Buenos Aires, February 17, 1911.
While no intention to reopen the run, they were unsuccessful. A rating of the Municipality of Cologne was achieved for bullfights only in that department initiative was unsuccessful, being closed in 1912. In 1943, Mihanovich Complex, passes to the City of Cologne because the claims against the Royal Society of San Carlos. Thus begins neglect culminating in the abandonment of the complex and the Bullring, which is today a ruined building that has suffered some looting in structure. Sevillian style structure can be visited and seen from outside the enclosure, surrounded by fences to limit access to the site. In 2012, after a sudestada, construction suffered the loss of the top of the facade, which he was in better condition than the rest of the edificación